Friday, February 03, 2006

My Version of the Beatitudes

In my last two posts I talked about Internalizing and what that mean and made an attempt to begin reflecting on what that involves and means for me . . . to internalize the story of the Beatitudes.

I've thought a lot about one of the comments on my earlier posting about telling the story in a different setting, re-write the story in my own words and tell it to a different audience. So, here's my re-writing of the Beatitudes:


You will only be happy in life if you are open toward others,
for then you will find what really matters.

You will know joy even when you grieve.

You will be truly happy if you are humble and patient,
for then you will receive your legacy.

You will find fulfillment if you continue to persue what is right.

You will be content if you show compassion.

You will understand what it is to be happy if you think and focus on what is good,
for you will be with God.

You will be glad when you make peace with others,
for they will see you as God's offspring.

You will enjoy life even when you are oppressed,
for then you will find what really matters.

You will receive more than you can imagine if others bother you because you know Jesus,
for they bothered others as well.


I'm not sure how to go about the rest of it as this whole passage really is more of an exhortation than a narrative per se. I'll have to give this more thought and see what some others have to say. I think I may just focus more on the context of my telling the story instead of re-writing it. It's a start anyway!

Cheers! Let me know what you think.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work, Phil!

Christians need to meditate on the Beatitudes and not just know them, but live them.

Too many people, who call themselves Christian, fail to live in the way that Jesus wants. They can give all of the right answers, but they have never internalized the message.

Keep encouraging us!

P.S. Check the typo on 'hospitality' in your bio.

February 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We should all memorize the beatitudes and/or rewrite them. to memorize scripture is to internalize the meaning and learn to live it out in our lives!
You did a great job of capturing the meaning for those of us who puzzle what "poor in spirit" or "meek" really mean. Thanks!

February 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home